Tuesday, December 27, 2011

My secret Santa gift

For the past few years, with Cameron's sister's family, we've been choosing names to exchange gifts for each other and calling it a Secret Santa. We have a few rules we follow...

The gift can be:
1. under $6
2. regifted
3. homemade
4. second hand
5. a "time spent with" gift

This year, I got Jonah. And as soon as I read his name, I knew exactly what I would make for him.

Last year, I made Sage a quilt for Christmas. After she'd opened it, Jonah was looking around under the tree. When I asked him what he was looking for, he said: "Where's mine?"

"Where's your what?"

"Where's my quilt?"

"You want me to make you a quilt?"

"Yes."

So, we went shopping at a few fabric stores to find some fabric to make his quilt. And I cut out the squares.... but that's as far as I got.

So, in November & December, I've been working away on Jonah's quilt in my basement, the whole while keeping it a secret from everyone else (this was trickier than it sounds!) And, a few days before Christmas, I got it done:


It's a twin size quilt. And here's how I made the back:


Jonah was quite happy when he got it (he'd been a little worried he'd been missed, as he didn't get it until later in the exchange!)


Now to find some time to work on one for Austin....

Thanks for looking!

5 comments:

Deb said...

Leigh!!!! This is so fabulous! I absolutely love those colors and the sweet smile on Jonah's face...precious! I would love one of these under my Christmas tree. He-he.

Joyce said...

Oh, Leigh. How cozy and wonderful. What a labor of love. He will have this quilt forever. I love the colors you used. Vivid and boyish.

Lee said...

What a lovely gift. Jonah really looks happy with his gorgeous quilt.

Elena said...

wow! I'm so in awe - and he looks so happy! What a great gift :)

Anita Rex said...

Leigh this is a beautiful quilt! I love the colors and fabrics! :> I love handmade gifts and he looks so happy wrapped up in it! It was fabulous meeting you today at Scrapbook Cottage! I really enjoyed our convo!!!!!